Monday, 28 October 2013

A visit to former Somerset and Dorset Railway territory

From our western correspondent, Jes Mania.

Whilst my colleagues have been working hard this weekend keeping the MHR wheels turning smoothly over the rails, I have been in the west country, with two other MHR members, Phil Sharp and Richard Stevens, singing with gusto at Sherborne Abbey. Whilst there, I was able to visit a very well known, and much remembered S & D photographic location of the great man himself, Ivo Peters, the bridge over the river Stour at Sturminster Newton. The brick side support arches are still very much in evidence, as seen in the image below.

I can also recommend a visit to the Towns Museum, where there are a number of other railway artifacts, including a station running in board in good condition, and interpretation displays on the railway, as well as a railway layout of the town. If only?


No comments:

Post a Comment